Things to Keep in Mind
We're committed to building a trustworthy community where everyone has fun and treats others the way they want to be treated.
Almost everyone in our community is both a buyer and a seller, so consider these helpful guidelines:
- Carefully read listing information and descriptions before bidding.
- When you win an item, provide your stored Shipping Address for the Seller (avoid manually entering your address in listing messages/emails).
- Send your shipping information to the seller when you win so you can receive your items more quickly. Be sure to do so within 7 days of winning the item.
- Provide simple and concise titles, clear photos (avoid stock images), and detailed descriptions.
- Be aware you are responsible for shipping, so limit your auction to users in your country to minimize your costs.
- Agree to follow through on your listing regardless of the final bid amount.
- Allow 7 days after listing ends to hear back from a buyer before relisting.
- Securely package item(s) for safe delivery. We highly recommend providing delivery/tracking confirmation.
If your listing disappears, it may have been removed by SwapCaps. To protect our community, we reserve the right to delete any listings containing or related to the following prohibited items without notice. We reserve the right to delete listings that appear to be illegal, fake, fraudulent, misleading, and incomplete or duplicates at our discretion. We also reserve the right to delete any listings that we deem inappropriate for SwapCaps without notice or explanation. Violating these rules may result in a temporary suspension and repeated violation rules may result in a permanent account suspension as well as a 5 cap fee per listing that violates these rules.
* In order to best serve our users, the SwapCaps account is exempt from certain listing and prohibited item rules.
back to top
Adult Items & Toys
- Anything you won't find in a typical drug store or supermarket
- Sexually explicit material
Cigarettes & Tobacco
- e-Cigarettes, glass/metal/ceramic/plastic pipes
- Exceptions: memorabilia, posters, seeds, collectible packaging
- You shouldn't use your listing as a classified ad
Contests, Sweepstakes, Lotteries & Non-Sponsored Raffles
- Including charity auctions
- MP3/music files, movie files, digital photos, electronic books, recipes, pdf files, etc, including devices advertised with media on them already
- Exceptions: your auction clearly states that you legally own the content (also known as intellectual property) or are authorized to sell it by the owner, an authorized agent of the owner, or law
- Anything that offers a discount such as "$x off y", "% off", "buy x get y free" or requiring a minimum purchase, including coupons with too many restrictions
- Exceptions: coupons that give you something for free with no minimum purchase, shipping charges of any kind, and no strict rules on redemption
Discount or Promo Codes
- Exceptions: unique one-time use codes and certain rewards points
- Anything that has expired and is no longer safe to use
Firearms, Weapons, Certain Types of Knives & Explosives
- Stun gun, pepper spray, bb guns (metal ammo)
- Commonly illegal knives such as automatic knives, push knives, butterfly knives, switchblades, etc
- Exceptions: kitchen knives, airsoft (plastic ammo)
Gift Cards With Fees
- Any gift cards that have mandatory fees or service charges, including gift cards with strict rules or too many restrictions
- Including any gift cards under $1
- Food & beverages
- Anything that can be ingested or applied to one's mouth including toothpaste, etc (by humans or pets/animals)
- Exceptions: Pez dispensers(s) containing candy
Intangible Goods, Trash
- Including any other items that SwapCaps deems unsuitable for the site
Invite Codes to Illegal Sites or to Sites That Are Readily Available
- We may limit invite codes to certain sites at our discretion
- Exceptions: rare and hard-to-get codes at our discretion
Links, References or Solicitations to Outside Sites, Companies, Organizations, Groups, Newsletters or Mailing Lists
- Any links, URLs, usernames, or references to the above in your listing title, description or other fields are prohibited
- Exceptions: links provided purely for clarification or further description of the item listed (ie, not to a store or business) or trustworthy charitable organizations
Livestock, Pets & Animals
- Including animal pelt or skin
Medicine (Prescription and/or Non-Prescription)
Non-Transferrable Vouchers or Checks
Replicas, Fakes, Counterfeit Items & Unauthorized Copies or Illegal Use of Trademarks
- Any items that cannot be determined to be authentic are prohibited. If you are not sure if it's real, you cannot list it.
- Includes copied CDs, DvDs and other media as well
- Fake, forged, and unauthentic sports memorabilia, collectibles or autographed items
- Exceptions: legitimate copies of non-trademarked goods or designs. Authorized pre-printed autographs or autographed items are allowed if you have the rights to accurately reproduce the original signed item and clearly state in the listing that the autograph is pre-printed and not an original
- Exceptions: tangible custom items that end up as a product (e.g. photo drawings, necklaces)
Software CD Keys, Serial Numbers & Licenses
- OEM (intended to be used with the original hardware)
- Exceptions: OEM software packaged w/ OEM hardware
Used Health & Beauty Items
- Exceptions: perfume, cologne, lotion, etc.
Used Underwear & Swimwear
- Exceptions: bras, bikini tops, baby swimwear worn over diapers or other clothing
The listing page is where most buyers will get information to help them decide if they want to bid on your item or not. The content on this page should focus on describing the item(s) and any detail about the terms of the transaction. Your listing may be removed or edited if any of the following rules are violated. The following are not allowed in your listings:
back to top
- Links, references or solicitations to outside sites, companies, organizations, groups, newsletters or mailing lists. Any links, URLs, usernames, or references to the above in your listing title, description or other fields are prohibited. Exceptions: links provided purely for clarification or further description of the item listed (ie, not to a store or business) or trustworthy charitable organizations.
- Description of your seller status or inclusion of any artwork/expressions in the Title or Location field. For example, including "Trusted Seller" or "bid with confidence" is not allowed. Your SwapCaps feedback will reflect your seller status appropriately.
- Conflicting or misleading product information, including misleading or unrelated words in your title or description.
- Mis-represented items.
- Mystery auctions that do not hint at or describe the type of item(s). The listing cannot be a complete mystery however the title can state "Mystery Auction."
The following set of guidelines is used when SwapCaps.com needs to step in to solve a dispute over a listing that has ended. In some cases, we will refund credits to the winner, and in other cases we will award the credits to the seller.
back to top
Caps Refunded to Winner when:
- Seller does not contact or respond to winner in a reasonable amount of time
- Seller changes the original terms stated in the listing
- Seller intentionally misrepresents the listed item
- Seller sends an item that is different than the item listed
- Seller does not have a tracking number for a missing package
Caps Awarded to Seller when:
- Winner does not contact or respond to seller in a reasonable amount of time
- Winner backs out or does not want the item anymore
- Winner claims a package is missing, but the seller has a valid tracking number
All users must store address(es) in their Shipping Address section, located here. A saved shipping address is the only means through which a buyer should share his or her personal information with the seller. As a buyer, you can store one or more addresses and reuse them to tell sellers where you'd like your items shipped. So instead of pasting (or re-typing) your address in a message every time you win an item, you'll simply choose one of your pre-entered addresses, eliminating typos and saving time! An additional benefit is that we standardize abbreviations, correct misspellings, and add in zip codes, to minimize shipping errors.
While messages can still be used for general communication between buyer and seller, they should not be used for sharing shipping information. In the event of a dispute, if we discover that a buyer or seller has not used the proper method for sharing shipping information, it is unlikely that the dispute will be resolved in their favor.
back to top
Shipping Time Frames
We encourage users to communicate promptly with one another when listings end, but here are the maximum time frames.
back to top
- Unless otherwise agreed upon by both the winner and seller, you must contact the seller within 7 days and provide your approved shipping address (if applicable)
- For example, if a listing ends on Tuesday, you have until the next Tuesday to contact the seller with your shipping info
- If you fail to do so, the seller may re-list the item and keep any Caps earned
- As always, we encourage you to contact the seller promptly and well before the limit to ensure a smooth transaction
- Unless otherwise agreed upon by both the winner and seller, you must ship items out within 7 days from the day you receive the winner's approved shipping address or 3 days in the case of digital goods
- For example, if you get the shipping address and payment on Tuesday, you have until the next Tuesday to ship
- If you fail to do so, the winner will be entitled to a refund in case of a dispute
- As always, we encourage you to ship items promptly and well before the limit to ensure a smooth transaction
Shipping and Handling
Please be aware that sellers pay shipping costs. This is to keep the only cost to buyers strictly in Caps, and move items more quickly.
Free Shipping for your listing is unconditional. This means that you cannot add conditions within your listing for shipping to be free.
You cannot state that you are not responsible for safe arrival of the item or ensuring that items are delivered as described. For example, you cannot state "I am not responsible for this item once I ship it out". It is the responsibility of the seller to ensure the listed item gets to the winner.
The seller is fully responsible for securely packaging and shipping the item to ensure against damage or loss from normal shipping practices.
Adding a tracking number or delivery confirmation is highly suggested since it is the only way to protect the seller in case the package is missing. Tracking is usually free with UPS, FedEx and USPS Priority when buying postage online.
Listings that do not adhere to these rules may be removed or refunded if they have already ended. If you spot a listing with misleading or grossly excessive shipping charges, please report them to us by clicking the "flag" link.
back to top
When listing digital items such as e-books, pdf files, digital photos, codes, electronic gift cards, or any other digital item will be transferred online, you must select the "digital delivery" option. This will help people find your items and prevent confusion about whether the item will be shipped physically or delivered electronically. Additionally, digital items should not be listed with physical delivery options such as "free shipping" or "local pickup" and must abide by all other rules regarding ownership, copyright, etc.
Listings with incorrect delivery options may be edited or deleted.
back to top
Automatic relisting is an option when you list an item. In order to keep items on SwapCaps fresh and up-to-date, items will stop relisting if you are inactive for 30 days.
back to top
Maximum Number of Listings
Your maximum number of active listings increases over time depending on how many successful transactions you complete. You can view the maximum you are allowed on the Listing Page.
back to top
Stay tuned for more information on Account Verification. We may add certain levels of account verification for sellers.
Violations of any of our policies may result in one or more of the following. If you have any questions about our policies or your account please email us here.
back to top
- Listing deletion
- Account suspension
- Partial activity suspension
- Forfeit of promotional account Caps
- Loss of account privileges
Users can be suspended from using certain parts of the site such as commenting, messaging, bidding and listing items. Display of inappropriate behavior can lead to these suspensions without warning. If suspended, users will be notified via email with the details of their suspension.
We take fraud very seriously, and prohibit the following actions which can result in account suspension. Caps obtained from these actions may be taken away without notice.
back to top
- A single user signing up for multiple accounts
- Creating more than one account on a computer
- Creating more than two accounts per household
- Shill bidding (when sellers or someone they know places a bid on their listing to drive the price up)
- Winning your own listing using separate accounts
- Harassing other members through the message system, personal e-mail or any other system
- Using hateful language or excessive profanity on the site or in messages
- Hacking or exploiting the web site
- Accessing the server or web site using scripts, bots or other automated methods
- Mis-representing your listings and items
- Accumulating Caps fraudulently or unfairly
- Promoting your referral link via SPAM
- Soliciting offline transactions or exchanging any items for cash
- Encouraging buyers to leave feedback before they receive the item
- Completing sponsored offers with fraudulent information
- Completing the same sponsored offers on multiple accounts
Terms and Privacy